Friday, March 16, 2007

A little night light


sweetie pie, originally uploaded by toyfoto.


3 a.m.: A little peep awakened me. Annabel, smelling fresh from her bath only a few hours earlier, was standing at my bedside, wide awake but silent.

She raised her arms. I lifted her and she slid effortlessly under the covers beside me.

"Oh, mama. I forgot my water. I'll be right back," she said as she wiggled away, slipping off the bed and back into the darkness. I heard her feet pound confidently through the hallway.

Only a few weeks ago she would have insisted I get out of bed and accompany her on the quest because she was "too afraid."

I didn't ask what brought her in; all I wanted to do was go back to sleep. She returned with her cup and climbed back into bed, settling easily into a comfortable position and became still.

In the morning I asked her why she had gotten out of bed in the middle of the night.

"All the dreams are in this bed. My bed doesn't have any dreams."

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

How sweet is she!

jenB said...

ugh. that just gets me right in my soft heart places. so sweet.

Misty said...

oh my goodness... that is seriously the sweetest thing! Talk about words to warm a heart! :)

Gail at Large said...

I am so looking forward to hearing the gems she'll say to her brother...

Lisa said...

oh. That is fabulous. What a sweet, sweet girl.

kimmyk said...

Good answer Annabel! Good answer!

I remember days when my son would stand beside my bed-he was never so silent. Then he'd crawl in and I'd walk him back down the hall to his bed. If he ever said something like that to me? Shooot, I woulda got up and got his water for him.

Kids, they know what to say and when to say it. She's one smart cookie!

Anonymous said...

There's something whimsically beautiful about that notion, that dreams are kept in a bed.